Friday

Golden Touch

Once upon a time there was a rich man named Midas. He had many palaces, many acres of land, a lot of money and many gold bars. Still he was not satisfied with them. He wanted more and more gold. He had a daughter, who was very beautiful. He loved her very much.
One night a fairy wanted to teach him a lesson and appeared before him. The fairy said, "Oh Midas! I want to give a boon to you. You may ask for anything. It'll be granted."
Midas was very happy. He thanked the fairy and said," kindly give me the power by which anything touched by me changes into gold." The fairy smiled and gave him the power. Then the fairy disappeared.
Midas was very happy. He touched all the articles in his palace. Everything changed into gold. "I will be the richest man in the world. Oh, fairy! Thank you very much," said Midas. Then he went to bed.
Next morning he woke up. He wanted to have a bath. When he touched water, it turned into gold. He was shocked. He could not have a bath.
Then he came to the dining table. The servants served delicious dishes before him. When he touched them to eat, everything changed into gold. He could not eat.
At that time, his daughter came there to have her break-fast. When he touched her fondly, she too became a golden statue.
"Oh, God! What is this?" he cried. "I don't like this power of changing everything into gold. I want my daughter back. "
No one answered his prayer. He wept bitterly.
"Oh! I don't like to be the richest man in the world. I am ready to give away all my wealth. Give me back my daughter," Midas cried.
In the evening the fairy appeared before Midas and asked, "Midas! Are you happy now?"
"Oh, fairy! Kindly take away your boon. I don't like to be a rich man. I am ready to be a poor man if my daughter is given back to me," Midas requested.
"Midas! Wealth is not everything. Don't be greedy. I wanted to teach you a lesson. Your daughter will come back and you will lead a normal life," said the fairy and disappeared.
The extraordinary power of Midas vanished. His daughter came to life. Midas was very happy and led a contented life. Then he came to the dining table. The servants served delicious dishes before him. When he touched them to eat, everything changed into gold. He could not eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment